Eight ingredients stirred together before putting in the oven to bake. That’s all there is to it in this moist, Simple Sweet Cornbread. The perfect side dish for your favorite comforting soup or stew this winter.
There’s a reason why I like to make chili. That reason, my friends is simple. Cornbread. I puffy heart love cornbread. Especially slathered in butter. The texture of each crumb, the barely there hint of sweet… This recipe makes a large 9×13 pan and it rarely lasts 24 hours in our house.
I may or may not enjoy any leftovers for lunch the next day. Just cornbread, no other dishes need apply. Carb lovers of the world, unite!
With just eight ingredients stirred together before baking, this moist cornbread couldn’t be easier. And when I say sweet, I don’t mean over the top. I mean a hint of sweet that sets it apart from those other cornbreads you might have tried before. I definitely prefer a bit of sugar in my cornbread!
This cornbread is perfectly paired with my Beer Braised Beanless Chili and another chili that I’m eager to share with you on Sunday. Or just make a pan and eat it on it’s own. Don’t worry, I won’t judge.
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together butter and sugar. Add eggs and buttermilk and stir to combine.
- Stir in baking soda, cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended but being careful not to overmix.
- Spray 9x13 dish with cooking spray and pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.