Forget the crowded bar scene this St. Patrick’s Day! Create your own adult milkshake featuring your favorite stout beer, Irish cream, mint chocolate chip ice cream and chocolate sandwich cookies. There will be no pinching when this drink is served.
With tomorrow being St. Patrick’s Day and Spring being just around the corner (fingers crossed!), it’s only fitting that this week’s Sunday Supper theme is Eat Your Greens featuring recipes with green foods. As our second child was born on St. Patrick’s Day, the holiday has fallen by the wayside. Instead, I find myself baking a birthday cake and wrapping presents. This was the perfect opportunity to create something just for my husband who happens to miss the Irish food I would make him each year.
This milkshake was inspired by one that I had when I went out with a friend a month or so ago. An adult irish coffee milkshake that although strong, was absolutely delicious.
This Mint Cookies and Stout Shake is the combination of so many of our favorites and those that we typically have on hand. Forget the cream de menthe typically found in these types of drinks! I’ve used a mint chocolate chip ice cream to lend a minty, coolness to this shake.
- 1-1/2 quarts mint chocolate chip ice cream
- 12 oz. stout beer
- 2 oz. Irish Cream
- 12 chocolate sandwich cookies
- a few drops of green food coloring
- Into a blender carafe, add all ingredients and blend until combined.
- Pour into two glasses and garnish with additional crumbled cookies.
Avoid the crowded bars and night scene this St. Patrick’s Day. In five minutes you’ll have a delicious, grown-up dessert perfect for a night in. And one you’re more than welcome to enjoy whether you’re wearing green or not.
If you’re like me, I’m never sure what beer goes with what type of glass and was constantly guessing and then just grabbing the nearest one, giving up in frustration. Until now! Love this infographic from Red Envelope that clearly explains which glass to pair with what beer. Perfect to print out and hang inside your kitchen cabinet or bar!
Check out the rest of the green themed dishes on this week’s Sunday Supper menu:
Green Light Appetizers and Sides
- Espinacas con Crema (Creamed Spinach) from La Cocina de Leslie
- Steakhouse Style Creamed Spinach from It’s Yummi!
- Oven-Fried Green Beans from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Irish Champ from girlichef
- Fresh Herb Tabouleh from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Moroccan Greens from Cooking On The Ranch
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Polenta Crust Creamed Spinach Tart from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes from MealDiva
- Spinach and Artichoke Squares from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Green Rice from Basic N Delicious
- Broccoli and Blue Cheese Tarts from Mess Makes Food
- Avocado Fries from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Spinach Cashew Pakoras with Tangy Date Sauce from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garlicky Italian Green Beans and Potatoes from Webicurean
Getting Greens Through Salads
- Pixie Dust Salad with Avocados, Pixie Tangerines and Radishes from Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Broccoli Spinach Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Apple, Spinach and Zucchini Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Brussels Sprouts Slaw from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Asparagus-Fennel-Pea Shoot Salad from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing from The Foodie Army Wife
- Creamy Chicken Pesto Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Entreés That Will Leave You Green With Envy
- Eggs and Greens Pizza from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Creamy Green Pizza from The Foodie Patootie
- Shamrock Spinach Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Healthy Green Pasta from Momma’s Meals
- Swiss Chard & Sausage Pasta Bake from Delaware Girl Eats
- Smothered Cabbage with Pork from Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Fettuccine with Bacon Alfredo from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Roasted Asparagus Eggs Benedict With Cajun Hollandaise from Having Fun Saving
- Indulgent Pesto Risotto from The Weekend Gourmet
- Twice Baked Turkey Pie with Cabbage from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Slow-Cooker Irish Stout Chicken Stew from FoodieTots
- Chicken and Asparagus Flatbread Pizza from Family Foodie
Desserts and Beverages That Will Make Others Turn Green
- Lemon Kiwi Meringue Pie from Desserts Required
- Mint Cookies and Stout Shake from Melanie Makes
- Verde Sangria from Country Girl in the Village
- Baileys Mint Ice Cream & Chocolate Stout Float from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shamrock Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Green Tea Latte from Manu’s Menu
- Grasshopper Mousse from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Amazing Grass Brownies from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Leprechaun Ice Cream from Cookistry
- White Chocolate Cupcakes with Pistachio Pudding Frosting from Cookin’ Mimi
- Collard Greens, Mushroom, and Cheddar Bread Pudding from The Texan New Yorker
- Coconut Avocado Ice Cream from URBAN BAKES
- Lime Meltaways from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Mint Cake from NinjaBaking.com
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.