These Angel Food Cake S’mores Skewers are the perfect adult spin on a childhood favorite. A perfectly toasted marshmallow is skewered between two pieces of angel food cake and topped with a strawberry before being drizzled with a luscious dark chocolate sauce spiked with Cafe Zinfandel wine.
If there’s one guy that deserves a treat this Father’s Day, it’s my husband. I hereby admit to adding a novel’s worth of projects to his honey do list the last couple of weeks. Our yard has never looked better and we’re definitely outside more than we are inside these days.
It all started with a delivery of 7 cubic feet of mulch. Do you know what that looks like? Picture a dump truck with it’s bed full and having it dumped into the middle of your driveway. Good times! Andy’s been wheelbarrowing – yes, I’ve now made that a verb – into the various flower beds in both the front and back. Including a new bed he dug out when I got a whim that it would make the edge of the patio look better.
Then there was ordering, delivery and beginning installation of a retaining wall in our front yard. So that our sloping to the street yard didn’t look like it went from grass to dirt to sidewalk, but looked a bit more intentional.
But I haven’t mentioned the best part! The part that we added to our must-do list last Summer after moving into our home. A fire pit! The materials for it were also delivered with the retaining wall rock and sand. (Thankfully one of our neighbors was out of town the week everything was delivered so she didn’t think we’d absolutely lost our mind.)
And what does a fire pit mean? Say it with me – SMORES! But not just any smores, no sir. I decided that Andy deserved a special treat for all of the sweat equity he’s been putting around here. These Angel Food Cake Smores Skewers definitely say special to me!
A perfectly toasted marshmallow is skewered between two pieces of angel food cake and topped with a strawberry before being dipped into a luscious dark chocolate sauce spiked with Cafe Zinfandel wine. Only one thing could make this dessert better. Toasting the marshmallows outside on our new fire pit after we’ve put the kids to bed!
- ¾ cup Gallo Family Cafe Zinfandel wine
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- angel food cake
- jumbo marshmallows
- 1 quart strawberries, washed and trimmed
- In a small saucepan, bring wine to a simmer. Stir in heavy cream and dark chocolate chips and stir until combined. Remove from heat.
- Cut angel food cake into large cubes and place one cube on a skewer.
- Roast marshmallow on a separate skewer and toast until desired shade of brown. Place on skewer with cake and top with an additional cake cube.
- Top second cake cube with a strawberry and drizzle skewer with chocolate wine sauce.
- Repeat with remaining cake, marshmallows and strawberries.
The perfect ending to a Father’s Day celebrating the guy at our house who does so much!
Father’s Day Salads and Main Dishes:
- Avocado and Quinoa Salad by Ruffles & Truffles
- Baked Lentil Chilaquiles Casserole by Shockingly Delicious
- Barbecue Chicken with Pinot Noir Blueberry Sauce by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken in a Caramelized Onion Wine Sauce by Family Foodie
- Filet Mignon with Mushrooms and Pinot Noir Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Meatballs by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Southwestern Zinfandel Glaze by Cooking On The Ranch
- Jambalaya Kabobs by Foxes Love Lemons
- Man Burgers Stuffed with Pinot Noir Caramelized Onions by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Marinated Flank Steak by The Foodie Army Wife
- Mushroom Topped Pinot Noir Burgers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pinot Noir Glazed Salmon by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pinot Noir Mushroom Reduction Sauce with Grilled T-Bone Steak by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Red Wine Meatball Subs by Momma’s Meals
Father’s Day Sweets and Treats:
- Angel Food Cake Smores Skewers by Melanie Makes
- Cafe Zinfandel Cake & Pinot Noir Quinoa by NinjaBaking.com
- Cherry Pinot Noir Pie by girlichef
- Chocolate Decadence with Cafe Zinfandel Whipped Cream and Raspberry Sauce by Desserts Required
- Hot Fudge Pudding Cake by Magnolia Days
- Pinot Noir Dark Chocolate Truffles by Alida’s Kitchen
Click here for a $1 off coupon your next bottle of Gallo Family Vineyards Moscato.
To find a store near you that carries the Moscato that I used in this recipe or any other wine produced by Gallo Family Vineyards, use their helpful store locator.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.