A thick slice of grilled, bacon wrapped meatloaf covered in a melty slice of sharp cheddar cheese, topped with bourbon caramelized onions, more barbecue sauce and a fried egg. This Grilled Barbecue Bacon Meatloaf Sandwich is the king of all sandwiches.
If ever there was the perfect sandwich to create for Father’s Day this weekend, this would be it. Meatloaf? For Father’s Day? Don’t raise your eyebrow at me! This is a grilled meatloaf – you know, like over hot coals? – that’s cloaked in bacon and slathered in a sweet and spicy barbecue sauce. It’s amazing in and of itself but once you put it on this sandwich? Life changing, I say!
And the barbecue sauce I mentioned? It just happens to be a Sweet and Spicy Bourbon BBQ Sauce that’s just as it’s name implies. At first bite, it’s sweet and then you’re hit with a lingering spice note to finish. Perfect for a thick sliced of smoky meatloaf.
I definitely created this sandwich with my husband in mind. The quintessential meat and potato guy, but one whom I’ve also transformed his way of thinking to enjoy off the wall things like kale chips. (Yes, that’s sarcasm.) A thick slice of meatloaf covered in a melty slice of sharp cheddar cheese that’s topped with bourbon caramelized onions and additional barbecue sauce. And then, my favorite, a fried egg with a stream of runny yolk cascading down the side.
Messy? Obviously. Out of this world? You bet.
It was when I was assembling sandwiches that I thought of my own father and how this would’ve been his perfect sandwich as well. I recall him frying pieces of leftover meatloaf topped with cheese and how he enjoyed eggs with runny yolks at breakfast. And of course, I then was requesting runny eggs at breakfast as well, likely to the chagrin of my mother. I’m still a card carrying member of that club.
It’s funny the little things that I recall and how something as simple as a sandwich could make me smile at the memories of them both.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 15 ounces Robert Rothschild Farm Sweet & Spicy Bourbon BBQ Sauce, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, diced fine
- 6 bacon slices
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces bourbon
- 8 sandwich rolls
- 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- Robert Rothschild Farm Sweet & Spicy Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- 8 eggs
- In a large bowl, combine beef, bread crumbs, egg, ⅓ cup barbecue sauce, garlic, salt and onion. Form into a loaf and place on three layers of aluminum foil. Fold edges of foil up to create tray for grilling.
- Cover loaf with remaining barbecue sauce - save a bit for serving on sandwiches! - and layer bacon slices over meatloaf diagonally, tucking ends under loaf.
- Grill over indirect heat for one hour or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees.
- Remove from heat and tent with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 20 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, add onions to large pan over high heat until beginning to sweat and brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add whiskey and reduce heat to medium. Cook until liquid has completely cooked into onions and onions are caramel in color.
- Fry eggs according to personal preference.
- Grill sandwich roll halves and place a thick slice of meatloaf on bottom of roll.
- Top with cheese slice, placing under broiler momentarily, if desired, to melt.
- Top with additional barbecue sauce, whiskey caramelized onions, fried egg and top of roll.
See? I told you that this sandwich was perfect for Father’s Day! Or, if the men in your life are anything like mine, they’ll think it’s pretty darn perfect any day of the year.
I’m betting you’ll agree.
Looking for more great barbecue recipes?
More drink recipes from fellow food bloggers:
I was compensated by Robert Rothschild Farm to create a recipe featuring their product. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting this sponsor that allows me the opportunity to create content, such as this, for Melanie Makes.