This seven ingredient Cinnamon Sugar Apple Cake is a humble little cake. It doesn’t need any sickeningly sweet glaze or gloppy frosting, no friend, this cake is just enough as is with a cinnamon sugar crust.
Keep in touch! Subscribe to receive Melanie Makes recipes direct to your inbox.
In our 15+ years of marriage, I’ve told my husband that he was right and I was wrong exactly two times. Once, four days after we had gotten our dog, the one that I had begged for for ten years. He was right, I wasn’t ready for the task. Especially as I then found out I was pregnant with our fourth child.
And the second time? This past week when I finally made this Cinnamon Sugar Apple Cake recipe that he gave me nine years ago. NINE. YEARS. For some reason I didn’t take him seriously that it really was that amazing. I stand corrected.
This Cinnamon Sugar Apple Cake sure is a humble little cake. It doesn’t need any sickeningly sweet glaze or gloppy frosting, no friend, this cake is just enough as is with a cinnamon sugar crust.
It also requires just seven ingredients which means this is a great recipe to keep in your back pocket when you want to treat your family – or yourself! – or you have friends coming over. It takes just 10 minutes to prepare and makes your home smell absolutely divine while it’s baking.
See all of that cinnamon sugar? I’m hoping it makes you want to dive through your screen to take a bite. Not only is this Cinnamon Sugar Apple Cake studded with four Granny Smith apples but the apple flavor is further amped up with a cup of applesauce.
If you’ve recently made your autumnal trek to the apple orchard, this cake is begging for a chance to use a bit of your apple bounty.
You know what other recipes are begging to put some of those apples to use? My super easy Snickerdoodle Apple Crisp. And my one dish Apple Skillet Cake with Maple Mascarpone Glaze. And my savory Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage and Apples. And my breakfast favorite Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal Muffins. Apple all the things, I say!
Cinnamon Sugar Apple Cake
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 Granny Smith apples unpeeled, cored and diced into 1/2" pieces (approximately 4 cups)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a small bowl, stir together cinnamon and sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add apples, eggs and applesauce. Mix on low speed until combined.
- Add flour, sugar, salt baking soda and cinnamon to bowl and mix until just combined.
- Grease tube pan and coat sides and bottom with cinnamon sugar mixture. Reserve extra cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake removes cleanly.
- Allow cake to cool five minutes before removing from pan to cool completely.
- Garnish with reserved cinnamon sugar mixture, as desired.