These eight ingredient Slow Cooker Sausage and Sauerkraut Sandwiches are the most hands off game day recipe ever. Smoked sausage, sauerkraut, onion, red bell pepper and mushrooms are slow cooked to perfection before being stuffed into a sandwich roll.
Keep in touch! Subscribe to receive Melanie Makes recipes direct to your inbox.
These eight ingredient – including the roll! – Slow Cooker Sausage and Sauerkraut Sandwiches are the most hands off game day recipe ever. Smoked sausage, sauerkraut, onion, red bell pepper and mushrooms are stirred together with brown sugar, pepper and garlic and slow cooked before being stuffed into a sandwich roll. In short, these sandwiches are what my husband would pick for his last meal on earth, if given the opportunity.
I’m thinking you’d have quite the spread if you served them with my Oven Baked Pickle Chips with Horseradish Chipotle Sauce and Creamy Baked Double Cheese and Spinach Dip. You probably should go with my Yogurt Dill Vegetable Dip as well. You know, for a healthy-ish option as well.
Unlike similar sandwiches you may have had in the past, these aren’t soggy! There’s nothing worse in my opinion than a soggy sandwich where the bread or roll soaks up all the liquid and immediately begins to fall apart. Plus, don’t get me started on the texture of a saturated sandwich. So gross!
Instead, all of the liquid is drained from each ingredient before being put in the slow cooker and then they’re cooked just enough so that the vegetables remain crisp tender and don’t turn to mush. Don’t get me wrong, if you’re into that whole aus jus situation there is some cooking liquid leftover for sandwich dipping. I’ll gladly let you have it all to yourself.
Of course, any sandwich roll or bun would work for these Slow Cooker Sausage and Sauerkraut Sandwiches but I have to tell you that a pretzel roll will really make them disappear quickly. The light and airy texture paired with the hearty sandwich filling is a winning combination.
I guess that makes the fact that my team won’t be pulling off a win anytime soon a bit more bearable.
Slow Cooker Sausage and Sauerkraut Sandwiches
- 28 ounces smoked sausage sliced into 1/2" pieces on the diagonal
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes drained
- 32 ounces sauerkeraut drained
- 16 ounces baby portabella mushrooms sliced
- 1 onion halved and sliced
- 2 red bell peppers julienned
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 12 sausage or hot dog rolls
- In a six quart slow cooker, add sausage, tomatoes, sauerkraut, mushrooms, bell peppers, onion, brown sugar, pepper and garlic. Gently stir together.
- Cook on HIGH two hours or on LOW four hours.
- Stir together and taste for seasoning. Depending on the brand of tomatoes used, you may want to add a bit of salt to the sausage mixture prior to serving.
- Serve on rolls.
I used store bought sauerkraut in this recipe, but you definitely could learn How to Make Sauerkraut and substitute it here. It would also work well for these Sauerkraut and Kielbasa Nachos with Cracked Pepper-Dijon Cream or these Polish Hush Puppies, both of which would be perfect for game day as well.