A couple of times a year, I get a craving for these cookies. I don’t know what brings it on, but this week I made the executive decision of what I was filling the cookie jar with. 3 dozen + 10 cookies later, I deemed the job done!
- 24 Hershey's Kisses candies
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended. Add sugar and brown sugar and beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla and beat well. Add flour, baking soda and salt and gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.
- Shape dough into 1" balls. Roll in granulated sugar and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate into center of each cookie. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack to cool completely.
- I prefer to use a cookie scoop to create each cookie and then roll into a ball. It insures all of your cookies will be the same size.
- I like to use dark chocolate Hershey's Kisses to create a cookie that's not overly sweet.
Just try and resist the melty chocolate centers of these cookies until they’ve completely cooled. It can’t be done!