With school back in session and holiday treats vanished, it was time to fill the cookie jar! As I was looking through the pantry I ran across a bag of Kit Kats that Andy’s mom had left for the girls after they were lamenting that they didn’t get as many as they thought they should at Halloween. (They really lead a very difficult life.) Knowing their love of Kit Kats, I decided to earn some major mama points and make them the star of these Kit Kat Chocolate Chip cookies.
Let me be honest… If you love Kit Kats, and you love chocolate, this cookie is for you. With three cups total of both ingredients, the cookie dough itself is really just holding all the chocolate and candy together. I’m not complaining!
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Kit Kat candy, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Cream together shortening, brown sugar and sugar.
- Add eggs, water and vanilla and beat together until fluffy.
- Add flour, salt and baking soda and mix until just combined.
- Stir in Kit Kat and chocolate chips.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, form and drop dough onto baking sheet with silicone mat.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool on cookie sheet 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
Needless to say, the girls were thrilled with their cookies. As was their little brother. In fact, as soon as Camryn got into the car after school, Leighton squealed, “Mama made cookies!” They then proceeded to chat about cookies all the way home. Well, cookies and swimming lessons. But mostly cookies.