A Corona spiked cupcake stuffed with Key Lime curd and topped with coconut buttercream and toasted coconut. It’s a drink! It’s a dessert! It’s a fiesta in a cupcake wrapper! These Key Lime Curd Stuffed Corona Cupcakes with Coconut Buttercream frosting are perfect for Cinco de Mayo or anytime you’re ready to celebrate.
Have you taken a look at your calendar recently? Next week is the beginning of May. MAY! The sun is shining longer, the temperature is rising (most of the time) and getting outside is becoming more of a given instead of a maybe. Thank goodness! I was about to start a petition to rename Ohio the Land of Eternal Winter.
You know what else May brings? Cinco de Mayo! The perfect excuse to grab your favorite frosty beverage, a few tacos and a cupcake. Yes, a cupcake. Specifically one of THESE cupcakes.
Yes, I’ve been cooking with beer again…
A Corona spiked cupcake stuffed with Key Lime curd and topped with coconut buttercream and toasted coconut. It’s a drink! It’s a dessert! It’s a fiesta in a cupcake wrapper!
The inspiration behind this tasty treat? A jar of Key Lime Curd & Tart Filling from Robert Rothschild Farm. Is it wrong that when I was thinking of what goes well with lime I immediately thought of a beer? One jar is the exact amount of filling needed for two dozen cupcakes. Coincidence? I think not!
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ tseaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/4 cup Corona beer
- 9-1/2 ounces Roberth Rothschild Farm Key Lime Curd & Tart Filling
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1-1/2 cups toasted coconut
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until combined.
- Add eggs, mixing after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Add half of beer and mix until just combined being careful not to overmix.
- Repeat with remaining flour and beer, ending with flour mixture.
- Line muffin tin with cupcake liners and using a medium cookie scoop, fill each liner with batter.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cool in muffin tin for 2 minutes before removing to cooling rack.
- When completely cool, use a teaspoon to remove the center of each cupcake. Fill zip top bag with lime curd, seal and snip one corner to create piping bag. Fill center of each cupcake with lime curd.
- For frosting, in the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar and mix until just combined.
- Repeat until all powdered sugar has been added.
- Add coconut extract and mix until combined.
- Pipe frosting onto each cupcake and garnish with toasted coconut.
I’m not sure which part of this cupcake is my favorite – the Corona cupcake, the lime curd filling or the coconut frosting. Lucky for me I don’t have to choose and can enjoy them all in a single bite!
I was compensated by Robert Rothschild Farm to create a recipe featuring their product. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.