Stuffed peppers in only 30 minutes? Totally possible! These Skillet Stuffed Peppers are part shepherd’s pie, part stuffed pepper and seasoned like a taco. Topped with a fluffy mound of mashed potatoes and melty cheese, you’ll have a delicious weeknight dinner on the table in no time.
I remember making stuffed peppers as one of the first dishes I began cooking in high school. Blanching peppers, cooking rice, putting everything together and then putting it all into the oven. Talk about time consuming! Sure they tasted great, but they weren’t anything that you’d want to tackle on a weeknight.
After Andy and I got married, I decided to put a new spin on stuffed peppers. Something that would still taste just as good but not take near as long to prepare. No baking involved. No rice to cook. Do I have your attention?
The rice has been eliminated and instead these peppers are topped with a fluffy mound of mashed potatoes. And those potatoes are topped with melty cheese. Comfort food at it’s finest! Think of these as stuffed peppers meets shepherd’s pie with the seasoning of a taco. Sure, it sounds a little bizarre but it must be good as my husband requests this dish at least every other week for dinner.
- 4 large green bell peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a microwave-safe dish, place pepper halves cut sides down and loosely cover. Microwave on high for 3 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender. Let stand in microwave until ready to use.
- While peppers cook, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add beef to pan, crumble and cook through. Add water and taco seasoning and stir until combined. Stir in tomatoes.
- Preheat oven broiler.
- To prepare peppers, spoon beef mixture into each pepper half and top each half with ½ cup mashed potatoes. Sprinkle each pepper half with ¼ cup cheese and place under broiler until completely melted.
This is truly a one skillet meal with the assistance of your microwave. Have leftover mashed potatoes from dinner earlier in the week? This is the perfect use for them! Don’t want to make mashed potatoes for this meal? Give one of the refrigerated packages in the grocery store a try!