This Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage and Apples has all of your favorite seasonal flavors in one dish. Sausage, apples and onions stud a rich pumpkin cream sauce flecked with cinnamon and nutmeg. This mountain of deliciousness is then topped with a blizzard of Parmesan cheese, parsley and additional apple for a picture perfect presentation.
It’s October which means everyone seems to be in full on pumpkin mode. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins, Upside Down Pumpkin Pie, Caramel Pumpkin Cheesecake Ice Cream… Are you sensing a trend here? Most people think that pumpkin must be used only for sweets. But, alas! Not so fast!
The inspiration for this recipe began with my monthly series with Melissa at Lulu the Baker. Each month we use the same three ingredients to create a recipe and then share them on the same day. This month, Melissa was in charge of selecting ingredients and chose pumpkin, apples and spices. Of course my thoughts immediately thought of all things sweet. Pancakes? French toast? Bread? And then I recalled a pasta I had made several years ago – as in pre-children several years ago – that had used pumpkin. The original recipe was just okay, but it was a great jumping off point for my new and improved recipe.
My favorite pasta – rigatoni for the win! – is bathed in a sauce that screams Fall harvest. Sausage, apples and onions stud a rich pumpkin cream sauce flecked with cinnamon and nutmeg. This mountain of deliciousness is then topped with a blizzard of Parmesan cheese and I chose to take it a step further with chopped parsley and additional chopped apple. I’m telling you friends, this savory pumpkin dish is where it’s at!
- 1 pound sweet italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 apple, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 14 ounces pumpkin puree
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 16 ounces pasta, prepared
- Parmesan cheese
- parsley and additional chopped apple for garnish, if desired
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown sausage. Remove to paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Add onion, apple and garlic to pan and cook until softened.
- Add white wine, bay leaf and sage to pan. Cook for two minutes to allow wine to reduce.
- Stir in chicken broth and pumpkin puree and bring to a simmer.
- Return sausage to pan and stir in whipping cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Stir prepared pasta into pan and allow to warm through before serving.
- Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese as well as chopped parsley and additional chopped apple, if desired.
Besides being insanely delicious, I also love that this Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage and Apples recipe feeds a crowd. Perfect for our growing family and it also leaves a bit leftover for mama to enjoy for lunch the next day. And I’m totally fine with that.
Be sure to checkout what Melissa made with this month’s ingredients, here.
Looking for more great pumpkin recipes?
More great pumpkin recipes from fellow food bloggers:
Pumpkin Pecan Baked Brie | Lemon Tree Dwelling
Pumpkin Pie Twists | Deliciously Sprinkled
Slow Cooker Spicy and Creamy Pumpkin Soup with Cashew Cream | Cooking & Beer