This Chocolate Cherry Pomegranate Eggnog Cake is not only easy on the eyes, but beyond easy to put together. Just five ingredients and the help of a few shortcuts will have this cake gracing your Christmas table in no time!
Christmas is a whole different ball game at our house than Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving means a huge dinner – this year it was a turkey and eight side dishes for the eight people that gathered around our dining room table. Christmas though? No huge dinner. We spend the day in our pajamas opening gifts at a snail’s pace and enjoying appetizers and then a dinner of spaghetti and meatballs. I love being able to enjoy the day watching everyone open their gifts instead of missing out on the fun while preparing a meal. Plus, who doesn’t like meatballs?!
Instead, my Christmas culinary focus is desserts. Yes, with a S. Variety is the spice of life and I like to have several options to select from. Believe me, nobody ever complains!
I’m hoping you took one look at this cake and decided you must have it on your holiday table this year. MUST. I’m also hoping that it looks like I put a lot of work into it and you’re unsure as to if you really pull it off. It’s not that I’m mean, it’s because I’m here to set the record straight. This cake is EASY and full of shortcuts. Perfect for the hectic holiday season when time seems to fly by but the list of things you’d like to accomplish continues to grow.
One of the shortcuts I mentioned also happens to be the catalyst for this recipe. Robert Rothschild Farm’s Tart Cherry Preserves with Pomegranate becomes an amazing filling when sandwiched between layers of decadent chocolate cake. A cake which also happens to be a boxed mix. Sure, I could’ve take the extra time to make it by hand but beating the clock was the name of the game.
The eggnog filling? Also the product of a shortcut! A quart of store bought eggnog is sweetened with sugar and thickened with cornstarch to easily create a filling that is is absolutely holiday worthy. The most effort you’ll put into this cake is by using a vegetable peeler to create chocolate shavings to adorn the top. Totally doable!
- 1 boxed chocolate cake mix + ingredients listed on box
- 2 10.5 ounce jars Robert Rothschild Tart Cherry Preserves with Pomegranate
- 1 quart eggnog
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- pomegranate arils and chocolate shavings, to garnish
- Prepare cake mix in two 8" or 9" pans according to package directions. Allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over high heat, whisk together eggnog, sugar and cornstarch until mixture boils and begins to thicken. Place mixture in refrigerator to cool completely.
- Trim tops of cake so that they are even and then slice each cake in half to form four cake layers.
- Place one layer on cake stand.
- Remove lid from jar of preserves and place in microwave and heat for 30 seconds. Pour into bowl and stir until it reaches spreadable consistency. Spread over cake.
- Cover preserves with a second cake layer.
- Spread half of cooled eggnog filling over second cake layer.
- Top with a third cake layer.
- Repeat preserves layer.
- Top with final cake layer.
- Repeat eggnog layer.
- Garnish top of cake with chocolate shavings and pomegranate arils.
- Refrigerate overnight before serving to allow cake to set completely.
- Store any remaining cake in refrigerator.
So grab a cake plate and prepare to wow those you’re spending the holidays with this season. We’ll let how easy this Chocolate Cherry Pomegranate Eggnog Cake is be our little secret.
Looking for more great cake recipes?
More great cake recipes from fellow food bloggers:
Cinnamon-Cardamom Cake with Maple Pecan Frosting | The Food Charlatan
Crepe Cake with Pistachios and Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting | Food Faith Fitness
4 Layer Chocolate Brownie Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting | Neighbor Food
Mocha Poke Cake | The Weary Chef
I was compensated by Robert Rothschild Farm to create a recipe featuring their product. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting this sponsor that allows me the opportunity to create content, such as this, for Melanie Makes.