This eight ingredient Shrimp, Bacon and Kale Parmesan Pasta makes any dinner special and comes together in just 30 minutes. Your favorite pasta is dressed in balsamic vinegar and olive oil and studded with sauteed sliced onions and chopped kale. Everyone then gets the opportunity to top their bowls with popcorn shrimp, crispy bacon and a shower of Parmesan cheese.
I don’t know if I’m crazy or what, but when school gets cancelled for the day due to Winter weather, I swear I’m happier than my children are. While they’re complaining that they want to go to school to learn more about space – that was the 6 year-old’s latest complaint – I’m celebrating a day that I’ll get to spend in yoga pants and doing things snuggled in at home. This Shrimp, Bacon and Kale Parmesan Pasta? This happened to be what I served for lunch on our last snow day.
What? You typically don’t feed your children shrimp for a weekday lunch? I like to joke with our menagerie that they’re so lucky that their mama enjoys cooking for them so much but really this pasta dish is so easy it comes together in just 30 minutes thanks to ingredients that are typically in our pantry, fridge and freezer. And that shrimp I mentioned? It’s from SeaPak and always at the ready in the freezer to be added to dishes or to be the star of the show. I love that they have strict quality, sourcing and sustainability standards for their products, including a commitment to source only from suppliers whose practices limit negative environmental impact.
You would’ve loved to hear the conversation with our daughters and I about popcorn shirmp as I was preparing lunch. “Do you have to pop it like popcorn?” “Where did the shrimp come from?” Who says spending time in the kitchen isn’t a learning experience!
Your favorite pasta – I used a whole wheat spaghetti – is dressed in balsamic vinegar and olive oil and studded with sauteed sliced onions and chopped kale. Everyone then gets the opportunity to top their bowls with popcorn shrimp, crispy bacon and a shower of Parmesan cheese. The more toppings the better! This eight ingredient main dish makes any dinner special and comes together in just 30 minutes.
- 16 ounces pasta
- 12 ounces SeaPak Popcorn Shrimp
- 12 ounces bacon
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 12 cups chopped kale
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Prepare pasta according to package directions, cooking until al dente, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- Meanwhile, bake shrimp according to package directions.
- Using kitchen shears, cut bacon into ½" slices and cook in large heavy skillet until crisp. Transfer to plate to drain.
- Reserve two tablespoons of bacon drippings in skillet and saute onion until beginning to soften, around 5 minutes.
- Add kale reserved pasta water and season with salt and pepper. Toss together until kale is wilted, about 5 minutes. Add vinegar.
- Add pasta and oilive oil to skillet and toss to coat.
- To serve, add pasta to each bowl or plate and top with shrimp, bacon and Parmesan cheese.
No matter what your thoughts were before, wouldn’t you know agree that snow days are the best days? Especially if that means trading in multiple trips to school in favor of shrimp for lunch!
Looking for more great shrimp recipes?
More great shrimp recipes from fellow food bloggers:
I was compensated by SeaPak to create a recipe featuring their product. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting this sponsor that allows me the opportunity to create content, such as this, for Melanie Makes.