Layers of tortillas, black beans, corn and cheese come together with a sweet and smoky sauce that’s a total game changer. This meatless Sweet and Smoky Quesadilla Casserole can be prepped in just 15 minutes and is guaranteed to be loved by all who sit at your dining room table.
If you’ve ever seen one of my weekly meal plans, you’ve noticed that we try to have a meatless meal on Mondays. It’s better for our budget and better for the planet and I’ve even gotten my meat and potatoes loving husband on board – by *coughcough*, bribing him with dessert. I’m always on the hunt to add a new meatless recipe to our arsenal and this Sweet and Smoky Quesadilla Casserole got rave reviews from everyone at our dinner table.
Layers of tortillas, black beans, corn and cheese come together with a sweet and smoky sauce that’s a total game changer. The fact that the entire recipe can be prepped in just 15 minutes makes it a definite winner in my book. And seriously, who doesn’t love a quesadilla? My children absolutely love them so the fact that I can make a giant stacked version for the entire family at once makes me look ridiculously awesome in their eyes. And I’m willing to ride that wave for as long as it lasts, my friends!
That sweet and smoky sauce I mentioned? It’s an amazing combination of chipotle adobo sauce and Raspberry Salsa from my friends at Robert Rothschild Farm. This salsa is destined to be a Summer staple and is chock full of plump tomatoes, chilies and sweet, sun-ripened raspberries. The bit of sweetness it lends to this recipe is unexpected but absolute perfection.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 14.5-ounce cans black beans, drained
- ½ cup Robert Rothschild Farm Raspberry Salsa + more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chipotle adobo sauce
- 12 ounces frozen corn, defrosted
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 5 burrito-sized tortillas
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Greek yogurt or sour cream to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add onion and microwave for two minutes.
- Add one can of black beans to onions and smash with a potato masher or back of a fork to form a paste. Stir in raspberry salsa and chipotle adobo sauce. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together corn, second can of black beans and cilantro.
- In a large greased casserole,place a tortilla and spread with ⅓ cup of salsa mixture. Top with ⅔ cup corn mixture and ½ cup cheese.
- Repeat layers with remaining ingredients, topping last tortilla with the last of the ingredients.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to sit for 5 minutes prior to serving.
- Serve with additional raspberry salsa and Greek yogurt or sour cream for garnish.
I loved serving this topped with additional salsa and Greek yogurt and served on a bed for greens. And really, if I can get my husband to ask for seconds for this meatless marvel, you know I’ve really done something amazing. Add this Sweet and Smoky Quesadilla Casserole to your menu plan, stat!
Looking for more great Mexican inspired recipes?
More Mexican recipes from fellow food bloggers:
I was compensated by Robert Rothschild Farm to create a recipe featuring their product. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting this sponsor that allows me the opportunity to create content, such as this, for Melanie Makes.