This Cheddar and Cream Cheese Skillet Cornbread will have you reaching for just “one more piece” again and again. Butter, cheddar and cream cheese are swirled together within the batter before being poured into a piping hot iron skillet. The result? A mile high hearty cornbread that is perfect warm from the oven, at room temperature and at any time of day.
Although summer isn’t officially over, with the menagerie back in school it definitely seems like fall. Even if temperatures continue to soar and the humidity continues to do a number on my hair. (Note to self: move somewhere with no humidity!) And with my thoughts turning to fall, I’m instantly craving comfort food. Soups, stews and everything else cooked in my large dutch oven that’s always out. Of course, comfort food also includes all things carb and this savory Cheddar and Cream Cheese Skillet Cornbread definitely fits the bill!
Perfect alongside a bowl of steaming soup or even alongside a towering pyramid of my Porcupine Meatballs, I adapted this recipe from The Soup Club Cookbook. I knew I needed to add this book to my collection as soon as I heard about it. Four friends banded together to insure that each week they would have an amazing meal on their tables cooked by one of them. Soup is easy to double, triple or even quadruple so it works perfectly for this concept. This cookbooks is completely relatable to anyone and everyone no matter what your skill level and is absolutely inspiring to create a soup club of your own! Seriously, who wouldn’t want a night off in the kitchen once a week and know it was lovingly made my a friend?
Butter, cheddar and cream cheese are swirled together within the batter before being poured into a piping hot iron skillet. The result? A mile high hearty cornbread that is perfect warm from the oven, at room temperature and at any time of day. This Cheddar and Cream Cheese Cornbread will have you reaching for just “one more piece” again and again.
I added an additional cup of cheddar cheese than called for in the original recipe – sorrynotsorry – as well as simplified the cooking method so that you aren’t dirtying any more dishes than you actually need to. It’s all about making things easier, my friends. And cheese. Always more cheese!
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place 12" cast-iron pan in oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 7 tablespoons butter. Stir in cream cheese and 1 cup cheddar cheese until combined.
- Remove from heat and stir in flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Stir in milk and eggs until just combined.
- Remove pan from oven and add remaining tablespoon of butter. Tilt pan so that melted butter covers bottom of pan.
- Pour batter into heated pan and sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
If you’re lucky enough to have a piece or two leftover from a previous meal, this cornbread is heavenly for breakfast with a runny egg sitting on top. It also makes a great vehicle for sandwiches when split in two. A perfect excuse to make another batch right about now, don’t you think?
Looking for more great cornbread recipes?
More great cornbread recipes from fellow food bloggers:
Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread with Honey Butter | House of Yumm
Cornbread Stuffing with Andouille Sausage | Crazy for Crust
Healthy Cornbread Protein Bars with Apples and Dates | Food, Faith, Fitness
I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting this sponsor that allows me the opportunity to create content, such as this, for Melanie Makes.