Cranberries take center stage in this New England spin of a cranberry upside down cake – otherwise known as Cranberry Duff. Layers of cranberries, pecans and sugar followed by a not-too-sweet batter are baked and then inverted to create this showstopper.
Looking for an easy holiday dessert that’s not only pretty to look at, but is absolutely delicious as well? This one is for you! Cranberries take center stage in this New England spin of a cranberry upside down cake – otherwise known as Cranberry Duff. Layers of cranberries, pecans and sugar followed by a not-too-sweet batter are baked and then inverted to create this showstopper. Don’t be fooled! You can have this ready for your holiday table in 60 minutes or less.
This was one of the recipes that I made at the very first Thanksgiving I cooked on my own. I had torn the page out of that year’s Martha Stewart Living magazine and was determined to serve this new-to-me dish. It was gone in minutes and I guarantee it won’t last long at your home either!
- 1-1/2 cups cranberries
- ½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter bottom and sides of 8" baking dish. Spread cranberries evenly over bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle with pecans and then ⅓ cup sugar.
- In an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whisk together egg and ½ cup sugar on medium-high speed for 1 minute. Reduce speed and gradually beat in flour and then salt. When combined, mix in butter.
- Pour batter into pan, covering cranberries. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes and then run a knife along the edge to loosen. Invert onto serving platter and serve warm or at room temperature.
I’ve made this delightful dessert in both a round and square 8″ pan, depending on my intended serving platter, with great results.
Looking for more great cranberry recipes?
More cranberry recipes from fellow food bloggers: