This Beer Cheese Fondue makes for a perfect game day appetizer. Your favorite beer, cheddar cheese and onion come together in this perfect, melty dipping sauce.
This Beer Cheese Fondue is an appetizer that we’ve been enjoying for years now. In fact, as I was making it this last time, I was thinking of all of the people we have enjoyed it with. Andy’s parents around our miniscule dining room in Columbia, our friends Chris and Travis in Missouri – the only friends we’ve ever had that were also Bears fans, a Super Bowl party with all of the neurosurgery residents in our cramped living room in Madison and just a few weeks ago with new friends here in Cleveland. I’ve yet to serve this delicious appetizer to anyone who didn’t fall in love with it.
You’ll find us noshing on this fondue on both New Year’s Eve and for the Super Bowl. With just seven ingredients, it comes together in just minutes and I’m bound to have everything on hand. Win, win, win. Your favorite beer, cheddar cheese and onion come together in this perfect, melty dipping sauce. Apples, crusty bread and soft pretzels are our top picks for dippers.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup beer
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2-4 tablespoons half and half
- In a small saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender.
- Add beer to saucepan and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low.
- Toss cheese and flour together in small bowl; stir into saucepan until melted.
- Add 2 tablespoons half and half to fondue and stir to combine..
- Transfer to fondue to fondue pot and keep warm.
- Add additional half and half if fondue thickens.
In the unlikely event that you happen to have any leftover Beer Cheese Fondue, you might also try it as a spread on your favorite sandwich. Andy’s dad discovered this shortly after I began making it and I have to agree he’s on to something!
Looking for more great appetizers?
More great appetizer ideas from fellow foodies:
I’m so excited to be participating in my first Sunday Supper event. For those of you not familiar with the Sunday Supper Movement, it centers around gathering around the table with your family to enjoy a meal. Something I hold so very important in the middle of our everyday chaos. Thanks so much to Heather Lynne from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks for hosting!
Here’s what everyone else is bringing to the table this Game Day:
Game Day Appetizers:
- Honey Mustard Pretzel Crunch from Shockingly Delicious
- Salt and Vinegar Wings from Casa de Crews
- Saucy Wings and Thighs from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Macaroni and Cheese Spring Rolls from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Steak Rolls from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Alpine Sliders from Manu’s Menu
- Hellfire Wings from Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Easy Nacho Bar from Momma’s Meals
- Jalapeno Popper Taquitos from Curious Cuisiniere
- Skinny Game Day Guacamole Potato Skins from Daily Dish Recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Cups from Alida’s Kitchen
- Spinach-Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers from La Cocina de Leslie
- BBQ Veggie Mini Burgers from Happy Baking Days
- Spicy Roasted Corn Shrimp Dip from Food Lust People Love
- Honey-Sriracha Pigs in a Blanket from Hip Foodie Mom
- Beer Cheese Fondue from Melanie Makes
- Cheesy Artichoke and Garlic Bread from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Whole Wheat Pepperoni Pizza Bites from Meal Planning Magic
- Personal Chili Pots from MealDiva
- Italian Spring Rolls from Noshing with The Nolands
- Mexican Meatballs with Queso Blanco from Cooking on the Ranch
- Parmigiano Crisps from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Buffalo Chicken Potstickers from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mediterranean Nachos from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Chinese Barbecue Wings from girlichef
- Mini Veggie Quesadillas from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Roasted Tomato Hummus from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Cashew Baba Ghanoush : Roasted Eggplant Dip from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip Potato Skins from Family Foodie
- Lemon Bay Pan Roasted Shrimp from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventure
- Honey Sesame Seed Crackers from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
Game Day Entrees:
- Super Sloppy Joes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Buffalo Chicken Chili from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mini Meatball and Mozzarella Sandwiches from Cookin’ Mimi
- Super Bowl Bento from Ninja Baking
- Vegetarian “Chorizo” and Black Bean Chili from Foxes Love Lemons
- Twice Baked Chili Cheese Potatoes from Neighborfood
- Barbecue Chicken Sloppy Sandwiches from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Easy Vegetarian Chili from Delaware Girl Eats
- Game Day Chili from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Dr. Pepper Turkey Chili from The Texan New Yorker
Game Day Desserts:
- Heavenly Hash Cookies from The Foodie Patootie
- Cookie Dough Billionaire Bars from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Streusel Bars from Magnolia Days
- Coffee Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake Squares from Desserts Required
- Microwave Caramel Popcorn from Pies and Plots
- Mini Coconut Cups from Basic N Delicious
- Triple Chocolate S’mores Brownies from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Cracker Jack Candy from What Smells So Good?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter every Sunday!
We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.