A rich chocolate ganache and cool mint chocolate chip cream are sandwiched between two dark chocolate cakes. These Mini Mint Chocolate Chip Whoopie Pies are the perfect bite sized treats for St. Patrick’s Day or any day of the year.
If there’s one flavor combination that’s always on the top of my list, it would definitely be chocolate and mint. Ice cream, cookies sold my little girls that ring my doorbell… And now these Mini Chocolate Chip Whoopie Pies. These miniature desserts pack several layers of flavor in a single bite.
First are the rich, dark chocolate cakes. Moist and decadent and the perfect vehicle for not one, but two fillings. One side receives a dollop of cool, mint chocolate chip cream. The other a slathering of chocolate ganache. I’m of the mindset that every dessert can be made better with chocolate ganache.
When the two cakes and fillings are sandwiched together? It’s nothing short of perfection.
- 4 cups flour
- 1-1/3 cups cocoa
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons coffee, prepared
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, minced
- 1-1/2 cups mini chocolate chips
- 1-2 drops green food coloring, optional
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add egg, coffee and vanilla and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Mix in flour mixture and buttermilk alternating between the two and beginning and ending with flour mixture. Do not overmix.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop batter onto parchment lined baking sheet, leaving 2" around each cake. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cakes spring back to the touch. Cool completely before assembling into whoopie pies.
- Cream butter and half of the powdered sugar together with mixer. When combined, add remaining powdered sugar.
- Add vanilla, peppermint extract and milk and mix together.
- Stir in fresh mint, chocolate chips and food coloring.
- In a large bowl, add chocolate chips and whipping cream.
- Microwave for 1 minute and stir to combine until smooth and creamy.
- Fill large pastry bag with mint chocolate chip cream. Add cream to bottom of one cake. Set aside.
- On the bottom of a second cake, add a teaspoon of chocolate ganache.
- Sandwich the two cakes together so that the cream and ganache are in between the two cakes.
- Continue until all whoopie pies are assembled.
I used a mini whoopie pie pan to create these cakes but it’s definitely not necessary. For less rounded cakes, you can simply drop the batter by the tablespoon onto a parchment covered baking sheet.
I’m so excited to partner with my uber-talented friend Jennifer McGuire of Jennifer McGuire Ink for a new monthly series. Each month, I’ll be sharing a seasonal recipe that Jennifer will in turn create packaging for so that when combined, you have a perfect sweet treat for a friend, neighbor or whomever you choose.
For St. Patrick’s Day, she’s created these adorable shamrock picks and has included a how-to video as well as a free download to help you adorn your whoopie pies.
We hope you’ll enjoy creating these sweet treats as much as we have!
Looking for more great chocolate recipes?
Even more great chocolate recipes from fellow food bloggers:
Brownie Bombs | The Domestic Rebel
Nutella Chocolate Lava Cake with Muddle Champagne Raspberries | Joyful Healthy Eats
Double Chocolate Mousse Cups | Mind Over Batter