Thick, hearty pieces of Italian Bread are soaked in a traditional egg and milk mixture and then stuffed with a fruit mixture including raspberries and peaches that have soaked overnight in a summer sangria. You want a reminder of a Summer evening served at the breakfast table? This is your dish.
It’s hard to believe that we’ve been in Cleveland for nine months now. It seems like we just got here, yet we’ve been here all along. This Spring will be our last season to experience for the first time in our new city. After a long and seemingly never ending Winter, I’m more than ready for the warmer temperatures and a chance to get outside.
Today’s Sunday Supper theme is The Best Recipes Always Tell A Story and I believe this recipes does just that. A story of friendship and the expectation of warmer months to come featuring Gallo Family Vineyards‘ Sweet White Blend.
When we lived in Madison, Spring meant that we were able to see our neighbors for the first time in months. Even though we lived in a condo and shared adjoining walls with two other units, because of the weather we rarely saw our neighbors during the colder months. When the temperatures began to warm, it drove everyone outside onto the driveway to catch up on everything that had been going on since the last time we were together.
These neighborly get togethers always seemed to include food and drink of some type. Whether it was someone sharing a couple of bottles of beer from the fridge in their garage to something a bit more involved, it was always made better by the company you shared it with.
Our neighbors, Cindy and Paul, were also foodies. We loved to compare recipes and share our latest creations. It wasn’t rare for us to text one another to announce we had dessert to share and we’d meet them outside in 10 minutes. We didn’t dare go the two doors down to deliver as it tended to set their dog Buddy into a barking frenzy. The same could be same for them and our three sleeping children. Oh the life of condo living!
One of the drinks that I made to share our first or second year in Madison was a pitcher full of sangria. A great wine, fresh fruit – a sign of warm weather and many more driveway conversations to come. A signal that Winter was over! As much as I love Sangria, the weather isn’t really cooperating this year to make a pitcher and sit outside on our patio. Instead, I was left to my own devices and created a comforting breakfast or brunch dish featuring this wine and fruit drink that you can easily enjoy in the warmth of the indoors.
And did I mention this recipe is a two for one? You’ll not only have something to eat but you’ll also have a glass of sangria to wash it down with, too!
Thick cut slices of bread stuffed with Sweet White Blend soaked raspberries and peaches that are then baked – Yes! Baked! – to glorious perfection. A dusting of powdered sugar is the perfect finishing touch.
Popping the cork to this wine is like inhaling the scents of Summer. I love the light, sweet taste it infuses into the fruit.
I can’t think of a better way to celebrate a friend and the soon-to-be rise of temperatures – hopefully! – than with a serving of this Sangria Stuffed French Toast. After one bite, I think you’ll agree!
Be sure to check out the other amazing recipes featuring Gallo Family Vineyards’ Merlot and Sweet White Blend wines for this week’s Sunday Supper:
- Crepes with Sweet Wine Poached Berries by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Overnight Blueberry Baked French Toast by Alida’s Kitchen
- Sangria Stuffed French Toast by Melanie Makes
Mains and Sides:
- Angel Hair Pasta with Chicken Spinach and White Wine Sauce by Family Foodie
- Baby, That’s a Good Merlot Onion Burger by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Beef Braciole with Parmesan and Prosciutto by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Beef Daube by The Foodie Army Wife
- Chicken and Couscous Stuffed Peppers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Sausage and Mushroom Skillet over Goat Cheese Grits by Neighborfood
- Giambotta an Italian Veggie Stew by Country Girl In The Village
- Grilled Pepperoni Pizza by Ruffles & Truffles
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken Thighs by Hip Foodie Mom
- Short Rib Ragu with Rigatoni by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spaghetti All’Ubriaco by kimchi MOM
- Tarragon Chicken by girlichef
- World’s Best Turkey Meatballs by Shockingly Delicious
Beverages and Desserts:
- Tropical Breezes Sangria by The Weekend Gourmet
- Lemon on a Cloud by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Merlot Cherry Cupcakes with Sweet White Frosting by Magnolia Days
To find a store near you that carries the Sweet White Blend that I used in this recipe or any other wine that they produce, use their helpful store locator.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.