Look no further for the perfect Halloween classroom party or get together treat! These Mini Monster Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Orange Cream Filling couldn’t be easier to create. No one would ever guess that the secret ingredient for both the cake and frosting for this recipe is milk!
In my book, you really can’t top dessert. That is unless it’s a dessert with personality! If you didn’t laugh or at least crack a smile when you caught a glimpse of these Mini Monster Chocolate Whoopie Pies, please let me know. I might just have to personally hand deliver you a few so that you can see them in person. I promise that would do the trick! It definitely had my three little ones shrieking with joy. Well, that is until they started bickering about who got the treat with the most eyeballs!
We go through a lot of milk at our house on a weekly basis. A LOT. As in, I buy four gallons of milk on my larger shopping trip each week in hopes that it will get me through until the next time I stock up. And yes, that does garner me a few additional looks as I’m loading my cart. Imagine what things will look like once we’re a family of six!
It just so happens that milk happens to be the key ingredient to this not so spooky Halloween treat – over 2 cups total! You should’ve seen how giddy my six and four year old were when they saw me reach for TruMoo Chocolate Milk and their seasonal Halloween flavor in Orange Cream and put them both in our cart. Ecstatic would be an understatement. I mean, it’s not everyday you get to enjoy orange colored milk! TruMoo is fresh from your trusted dairy and does not contain artificial growth hormones or high fructose corn syrup.
These mini whoopie pies couldn’t be easier to create! An orange cream filling flavored with orange flavored milk is sandwich between two decadent chocolate cake halves who get their flavor from chocolate milk. TruMoo Chocolate Milk has been formulated to contain nutritional benefits for your family and contains no high fructose corn syrup without sacrificing taste, all while providing 8 essential nutrients that kids need for critical development stages.
- 4 cups flour
- 1-1/3 cups cocoa
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons coffee, prepared
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups Tru Moo Chocolate Milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup Tru Moo Orange Scream milk
- 2-3 drops orange food coloring, optional
- candy eyes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add egg, coffee and vanilla and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Mix in flour mixture and chocolate milk alternating between the two and beginning and ending with flour mixture. Do not overmix.
- Using a tablespoon scoop, scoop batter onto parchment or silicone lined baking sheet, leaving 2" around each cake. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cakes spring back to the touch. Cool halves completely before assembling.
- Cream butter and half of the powdered sugar together with mixer. When combined, mix in remaining powdered sugar.
- Add milk and mix together until combined.
- Stir in food coloring, if desired.
- Fill large pastry bag with orange cream. Pipe cream to bottom of one cake halve and top with another cake halve.
- Add a dot of frosting to the back of candy eye and adhere to top of whoopie pie a desired.
These Mini Monster Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Orange Cream Filling would make a perfect sweet for your child’s Halloween classroom party. I would know! I walked my first grader to her classroom door earlier this week with a tray of them for her and her classmates as an early holiday treat. (Bonus mom points for me!) They don’t need to know that one 8-ounce serving of TruMoo provides as much calcium as 5 cups of broccoli and as much potassium as a small banana. That means a full recipe of these sweet treats contains 2.5 times those amounts!
Now it’s your turn to be a hit with the younger and older set alike when you give this recipe a try! (I loved being able to sneak a bite size treat from the counter before I packaged them!)
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.