These Ginger Cookie Sandwiches with Christmas Ale Buttercream are the standout star of your Christmas cookie exchange. All of the spices of the holiday season in a soft and chewy cookie sandwich with a whipped buttercream filling between.
Nearly each Friday, after picking up the girls from school, we head to our favorite local ice cream shop to start our weekend on a sweet note. I’m not sure who looks forward to it more, the menagerie or me! On one of our recent visits, one of their new seasonal flavors, Christmas Ale Gingersnap, sparked an idea and had my brain working overtime to figure out how I could make it happen.
Last week, I shared with you the recipe for Soft and Chewy Ginger Cookies – one of our family’s favorite cookies not only during the holidays, but all year long. I knew that the spices within the cookies would pair great with the Christmas Ale and inspired by the seasonal ice cream flavor, set to work.
In Cleveland, there’s a local brewery who makes an amazing Christmas Ale that has quite the following. As in, when it first becomes available each season, it makes the local news and patrons begin lining up. It’s that popular. So of course it was what I immediately reached for for this recipe. A whipped Christmas Ale buttercream frosting sandwiched between two soft and chewy ginger cookies. All of the spices of the holiday season in a sweet, bite size cookie sandwich.
- 1 recipe Soft and Chewy Ginger Cookies, prepared
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- ¼ cup Christmas Ale
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter until soft and fluffy.
- Add vanilla, cinnamon and ginger and mix until combined.
- Slowly add powdered sugar, mixing well after each addition.
- Add Christmas ale to sugar mixture and mix until combined.
- Beat on high speed for two minutes until light and fluffy. If needed, add additional Christmas Ale to reach desired consistency.
- Spread buttercream on the bottom of one cookie and sandwich between an additional cookie. Repeat with additional cookies.
My Ginger Cookie Sandwiches with Christmas Ale Buttercream will no doubt standout from the crowd at your holiday cookie exchange this year. They also would make an amazing homemade gift for friends, teachers and neighbors.
Looking for more great cookie recipes?