A whipped buttercream filling sandwiched between two soft and chewy cookies. All of the spices of the holiday season in a sweet, bite size cookie sandwich. These Ginger Cookie Sandwiches with Christmas Ale Buttercream are the perfect handmade holiday gift or for your next Christmas cookie exchange.
Nearly each Friday, after picking up the girls from school, we head to our favorite local ice cream shop to start our weekend on a sweet note. I’m not sure who looks forward to it more, the menagerie or me! On one of our recent visits, one of their new seasonal flavors, Christmas Ale Gingersnap, sparked an idea and had my brain working overtime to figure out how I could make it happen.
In Cleveland, there’s a local brewery who makes an amazing Christmas Ale that has quite the following. As in, when it first becomes available each season, it makes the local news and patrons begin lining up. It’s that popular.
Last week, I shared with you the recipe for Soft and Chewy Ginger Cookies – one of our family’s favorite cookies not only during the holidays, but all year long. I knew that the spices within the cookies would pair great with the Christmas Ale and inspired by the seasonal ice cream flavor, set to work.
My solution? A whipped Christmas Ale buttercream frosting sandwiched between two soft and chewy ginger cookies. All of the spices of the holiday season in a sweet, bite size cookie sandwich.
- 1 recipe Soft and Chewy Ginger Cookies, prepared
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- ¼ cup Christmas Ale
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter until soft and fluffy.
- Add vanilla, cinnamon and ginger and mix until combined.
- Slowly add powdered sugar, mixing well after each addition.
- Add Christmas ale to sugar mixture and mix until combined.
- Beat on high speed for two minutes until light and fluffy. If needed, add additional Christmas Ale to reach desired consistency.
- Spread buttercream on the bottom of one cookie and sandwich between an additional cookie. Repeat with additional cookies.
I loved being able to send a bit of Cleveland in the form of a sweet treat from my kitchen to three other food bloggers as part of the 2014 Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap.
Looking for more great cookie recipes?