This Chocolate Covered Strawberry Ice Cream Tart is the perfect welcome to warmer temperatures. An Oreo crust is topped with chocolate ganache, strawberry ice cream and whipped topping before being garnished with fresh strawberries and a drizzle of chocolate.
Keep in touch! Subscribe to receive Melanie Makes recipes direct to your inbox.
Although yesterday was the start of spring, I feel that we’ve been enjoying warmer weather here in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains for the last two weeks now. Granted, they’ve put snow in our forecast for the end of next week and for spring break next week, but I’m choosing to ignore the possibility. It seems like it would be a cruel joke to enjoy life with our windows open only to revert back to winter so quickly! Instead, I’m welcoming the warm temperatures with this Chocolate Covered Strawberry Ice Cream Tart. Because to me, any weather is ice cream weather!
Totally inspired by the Grasshopper Ice Cream Tart that I shared a few weeks ago, this version is still heavy on the chocolate but adds a fruit element as well. The perfect dessert no matter who you are! Add in the fact that it’s also no bake and takes just 25 minutes to prepare and well, I dare you to find something wrong with this beauty. For the records, those 25 minutes are mostly hands off time as you wait for each layer to set so that you can begin the next one. My Hot Fudge Ice Cream Pie is also prepared in the same way.
This Chocolate Covered Strawberry Ice Cream Tart is the perfect welcome to warmer temperatures. An Oreo crust is topped with my super easy Microwave Chocolate Ganache, strawberry ice cream and whipped topping before being garnished with fresh strawberries and a drizzle of chocolate. The strawberry topping turned into a bit of a creative outlet for me as I halved part of the strawberries and quartered the others to make a more interesting visual impact. I also chose to keep the leaves on the strawberries to add a pop of color. Obviously you could trim them if you’d rather.
Have friends or family coming over? I love that this Chocolate Covered Strawberry Ice Cream Tart can also be prepared in advance. Simply wrap it tightly and it’ll be ready and waiting in the freezer for you when you’re ready to garnish it and serve to an eagerly awaiting crowd.
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Ice Cream Tart
- 1 14.3- ounce package Oreos
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 1 recipe Microwave Chocolate Ganache prepared
- 1 1.75- quart container strawberry chip ice cream
- 12 ounces whipped topping
- 1 pound fresh strawberries half quartered and half halved for decorative purposes
- In the bowl of a food processor, add Oreos and process until they are evenly sized crumbs.
- In a medium bowl, stir together Oreo crumbs and butter.
- Press Oreo mixture into an even layer in the bottom and up sides of a 9" tart pan with removable bottom that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Spread 1 cup of prepared chocolate ganache into an even layer in center of crust. Freeze for 10 additional minutes.
- Meanwhile, allow ice cream to soften at room temperature while ganache sets.
- Spoon softened ice cream into center of tart crust over ganache into an even layer. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- Prior to serving, top tart with whipped topping.
- Garnish with strawberries and drizzle with remaining chocolate ganache.
Although I used store bought ice cream in this Chocolate Covered Strawberry Ice Cream Tart, just think of the amazing flavors that might occur if you went the homemade route! I’m thinking using this Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream, Homemade Strawberry Nutella Ice Cream or Strawberry Dark Chocolate Ice Cream would be absolutely delicious.