My Green Chile and Chorizo Mac and Cheese is a knock off of ballpark food but with the flavor dial turned up a notch. Diced green chiles are stirred into a melty and luscious macaroni and cheese that’s been spiked with your favorite beer. Topped with chorizo, panko bread crumbs and pico de gallo, it’s sure to have your taste buds on alert.
Keep in touch! Subscribe to receive Melanie Makes recipes direct to your inbox.
A few weeks ago while watching the late news, my ears perked up when they noted some new menu items at Coors Field. Especially when they mentioned something called Mile High Mac and Cheese. (Please note, nearly everything in Colorado bears that “mile high” designation lest you forget you’re at higher altitude than most of the country.) Said mac and cheese was described as a green chili mac and cheese topped with crumbled chorizo and pico de gallo. You know it took me all of five seconds to decide I needed to create my own version.
My Green Chile and Chorizo Mac and Cheese used my Bacon Crusted Beer Mac and Cheese and Reuben and Guinness Mac and Cheese as jumping points. I’m thinking what goes better with ballpark food than a beer so why not use it as a base to the cheesy sauce for this amazing comfort food? Definite proof that my knock off has to be better than the original.
Diced green chiles are stirred into a melty and luscious macaroni and cheese that’s been spiked with your favorite beer. Before baking, it’s then topped with chorizo and panko bread crumbs. Before making it’s way to those eagerly awaiting it’s arrival at your dining room table, fresh pico de gallo and parsley stud the top. I’ll gladly dine on this Green Chile and Chorizo Mac and Cheese throughout baseball season and any other day of the year!
Green Chile and Chorizo Mac and Cheese
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 12 ounces beer
- 1/4 cup stone ground mustard
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 16 ounces diced green chiles
- 1 pound chorizo crumbled and browned
- 2 cups panko bread crumb
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- chopped parsley to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions, cooking 1-2 minutes less than the time noted.
- In a large 12" sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour and cook until bubbly and golden in color.
- Whisk in milk, beer and mustard into saucepan.
- Stir in cheese. Lower heat to medium and continue to stir, cooking for 5-6 minutes while mixture thickens.
- Stir in paprika, pepper, garlic powder, salt and nutmeg. Stir drained pasta, and green chiles into cheese sauce to coat.
- Top pasta with chorizo and panko bread crumbs and bake for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with pico de gallo and chopped parsley.
The chorizo sitting atop this Green Chile and Chorizo Mac and Cheese definitely sets it apart from the rest, adding a bit more spice with absolutely minimal effort. If you’re a fan, you’ll also want to check out this hearty Chorizo and Butternut Squash Lentil Soup, sweet and smoky Chorizo Sweet Potato Tortilla Bites and these Chicken and Chorizo Patty Melts.