This Iron Skillet Caramel Nectarine Crisp is anything but ordinary, but so incredibly easy! Slices of fresh nectarines are tossed with allspice and caramel before being topped with a gingersnap cookie crumble. Topped with a scoop of ice cream, it’s dessert perfection.
Keep in touch! Subscribe to receive Melanie Makes recipes direct to your inbox.
During the warmer months, there’s nothing like a dessert full of ripe, seasonal fruit. Especially when that sweet treat has the possibility of being topped with ice cream. This is where you should be nodding your head in agreement. You know how some things are just meant to be? That’s exactly what happened with the filling of this Iron Skillet Caramel Nectarine Crisp.
Slices of fresh nectarines are tossed with allspice and caramel before being topped with a crumble that includes crushed gingersnap cookies. This fruit crisp is anything but ordinary and is practically begging to be topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and additional caramel sauce. I’m only happy to oblige! So happy that I may have made this Iron Skillet Caramel Nectarine Crisp recipe twice for our family in just three days. I guess you could say we enjoyed it?
Although I typically think of a fruit crisp as a fall dessert, I seem to have a recipe for all seasons. My Coconut Blueberry Crisp is a warm weather favorite. Then there’s my Snickerdoodle Apple Crisp which comes together in no time thanks to a shortcut ingredient. And if you really want something fun and out of the ordinary, my Halloween Candy Apple Crisp is the perfect way to use up any extra candy you may have hiding in the pantry.
Having trouble finding fresh nectarines? Being the kind person that I am, I also tested this recipe with fresh peaches with the same amazing results. Just look for fruit that’s more firm and not overly ripe.
A la mode is the way that fruit crisps were made to be served and this Iron Skillet Caramel Nectarine Crisp is no exception. Just be sure to pass the caramel to take this dessert over the top and make you the most well liked person at the table.
Iron Skillet Caramel Nectarine Crisp
- 7 medium nectarines cut into 1/4" slices
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup gingersnap cookies crumbled
- additional caramel sauce for topping if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, gently stir together nectarines, brown sugar, sugar and salt and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together flour, salt, sugar and allspice.
- Using a pastry blender, cut butter into topping mixture until it is the size of peas. Stir in gingersnaps and set aside.
- Drain accumulated liquid from nectarines, reserving two tablespoons and adding back to nectarines.
- Stir in allspice and caramel sauce into nectarines.
- Butter bottom and sides of 12 iron skillet and add nectarine filling.
- Sprinkle topping over filling.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until brown and bubbling around the edges.
- Serve with a scoop of ice cream and additional caramel sauce, if desired.