This Upside Down Pizza Casserole is a family favorite with the flavor volume turned way up! Ground beef and Italian sausage, onions, green pepper and pepperoni are topped with pizza sauce, sharp cheddar cheese slices and a homemade biscuit mixture to create the ultimate comfort food.
Keep in touch! Subscribe to receive Melanie Makes recipes direct to your inbox.
I’m not sure what exactly made me think of this Upside Down Pizza Casserole this week. It’s a recipe that I enjoyed my mom making when I was a child and when I looked in the recipe book that she had given me – and where all my favorite recipes from home are kept – I noticed it’s actually a recipe that had been passed down from my grandmother.
Comfort food at it’s finest. And if every one of my four children eats a dish without complaint, I can practically guarantee that whoever you serve it to will enjoy it as well.
This is where I admit that my version of this recipe is a bit different than the Upside Down Pizza Casserole my mom made for me. The original recipe was made in an 8×8 dish. Let me tell you, that’s simply not going to work for our family of six.
It also wouldn’t make for any leftovers which are perfect for school lunch thermoses the next day. This casserole reheats beautifully as I can make it earlier in the day when I have time to spare and then simply reheat it in the oven when we’re ready to eat dinner.
I also chose to amp up the pizza flavor. Because really, when is more flavor a bad thing? The original recipe was a layer of ground beef topped by tomato sauce, slices of American cheese and then a mixture of biscuit mix and milk.
My Upside Down Pizza Casserole has more flavor in each and every layer. Instead of just ground beef, I also included Italian sausage as well which was an instant boost of flavor and interest. I also included onion, green pepper and pepperoni – all of my favorites! – to really up the pizza quotient.
Pizza sauce replaced the tomato sauce, again, more flavor. And as I’m not quite sure when I last purchased American cheese slices, I went with my favorite thick sliced sharp cheddar cheese. (Friends, look for the Tillamook brand the next time you’re grocery shopping, those cheddar slices are legit!)
Instead of using something store bought, my four ingredient mix is the perfect substitute and is made with pantry staples. I also added garlic powder and Italian seasoning to it to once again add flavor. The biscuit topping was my favorite as a child and I can verify that it still is some thirty years later! Serving each piece upside down so that the crust is sitting on your plate is half the fun.
Upside Down Pizza Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 2 ounces pepperoni slices
- 14 ounces pizza sauce
- 9 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups Homemade Baking Mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- fresh chopped parsley, to garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Add ground beef, sausage, onion and green pepper to a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until beef and sausage are browned and cooked through and onion and green pepper are softened.
- Drain beef mixture and pour into 9x13 casserole dish.
- Layer pepperoni slices evenly over beef mixture.
- Pour pizza sauce over pepperoni and spread into an even layer.
- Top with cheddar cheese slices. You may have to halve slices to create a single layer.
- In a medium bowl, stir together baking mix, milk, garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
- Drop biscuit mixture onto cheese and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until top is golden. Serve upside down.