All the tastes of Spring on a single plate. The much loved blueberry and lemon flavor combination gets an added wow factor with the addition of almond paste. I guarantee you won’t be able to wait until this Blueberry Lemon Almond Coffee Cake cools to take your first bite!
The first day of Spring? Obviously Mother Nature didn’t get the memo here in Cleveland. We returned home from an overnight of taking the menagerie to a waterpark and it’s grey, gloomy and maybe 30 degrees. Since the weather isn’t cooperating, I’m celebrating the end of Winter and the hopes of warmer temps to come with this Lemon Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake.
Yes, yes the lemon and blueberry combo has been done repeatedly but I have a secret ingredient that makes this easy breakfast or brunch dish – or let’s face it I’d eat this cake morning, noon or night – stand out from the crowd. And I suppose it’s not really a secret anymore if I’m sharing the recipe. Friends, say a big hello to almond paste!
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 oz. almond paste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 12 ounces blueberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
- In bowl of electric mixer, cream together sugar, almond paste and butter. Add egg and juice and zest of lemon, mixing until well combined.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with milk. Fold in blueberries.
- Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray and spoon batter into pan.
- To prepare topping, combine all ingredients and stir until combined. Sprinkle evenly over cake batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
The tastes of Spring on a single plate. Grab a fork – and quick! – you won’t want to share a bite of this amazing coffee cake!
Looking for more recipes featuring blueberries?
More great recipes featuring blueberries from fellow food bloggers: