Your search for the perfect coffee cake recipe has ended with this Blueberry Lemon Almond Coffee Cake. A light and fluffy lemon almond cake is studded with fresh blueberries that burst to create pockets of fruity deliciousness and topped with a cinnamon sugar almond crumble that’s reminiscent of the cinnamon sugar almonds everyone devours around the winter holiday season.
The first day of Spring? Obviously Mother Nature didn’t get the memo here in Cleveland. We returned home from an overnight of taking the menagerie to a waterpark and it’s grey, gloomy and maybe 30 degrees. Since the weather isn’t cooperating, I’m celebrating the end of Winter and the hopes of warmer temps to come with this Blueberry Lemon Almond Coffee Cake. I absolutely love this bright flavor combination!
Yes, yes the lemon and blueberry combo has been done repeatedly but I have a secret ingredient that makes this easy breakfast or brunch dish – or let’s face it I’d eat this cake morning, noon or night! – stand out from the crowd. And I suppose it’s not really a secret anymore if I’m sharing the recipe. Are you ready? Are you sitting down? Friends, say a big hello to almond paste! This not-so-secret anymore ingredient is definitely the star of this cake. Not only does it smell heavenly but it really packs a flavorful punch without any effort on my part but opening up the package!
Your search for the perfect coffee cake recipe has ended with this Blueberry Lemon Almond Coffee Cake. A light and fluffy lemon almond cake is studded with fresh blueberries that burst to create pockets of fruity deliciousness. On top? A cinnamon sugar almond crumble that’s reminiscent of the cinnamon sugar almonds everyone devours around the winter holiday season. Simply put, it’s absolutely divine!
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 ounces almond paste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 12 ounces blueberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
- In bowl of electric mixer, cream together sugar, almond paste and butter. Add egg, lemon juice and zest, mixing until well combined.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with milk. Fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into greased 9x13 baking pan.
- To prepare topping, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir until combined. Sprinkle evenly over cake batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
Equally delicious warm from the oven or made the night before to serve immediately to hungry tummies waiting at the table. This Blueberry Lemon Almond Coffee Cake is sure to be a frequent request around your breakfast table!
Looking for more recipes featuring blueberries?
More great recipes featuring blueberries from fellow food bloggers: