A spicy tomato based broth surrounds browned chicken, smoked sausage, pasta and a plethora of vegetables in this Creole Pasta Soup. Topped with oversized cornbread croutons, this soup is sure to warm you inside and out!
Now that Fall seems to have declared it’s staying in Northeast Ohio, I’m all about a warm bowl of soup for dinner. At least once a week, you’ll find a soup or stew on the menu. Bonus points if it’s prepared in a slow cooker or is super quick to prepare as this Creole Pasta Soup with Cornbread Croutons is.
This soup is a combination of two of our favorites. It’s got a tomato base and includes pasta, similar to my Cherry Tomato and Tortellini Soup. It also includes chicken, a plethora of vegetables and a bread topping, like my Easy Chicken and Dumpling Soup. Put them together with a creole twist – think smoked sausage, okra and spices – and you’ve got a new soup to awaken your taste buds!
And really there’s only one way I’m able to make this whole creole twist thing work. I took a bit of help from my friends at Robert Rothschild Farm and their new White Wine Creole sauce. I love that it took the guesswork out of what spices to use and instead let the experts do the hard work. Major bonus points in that I knew that the sauce’s ingredients were organic and didn’t include anything I would be concerned about serving my family.
I didn’t add any additional spices to my soup besides seasoning the chicken with salt and pepper and adding a bit of minced garlic. Because, really, I add minced garlic to practically everything! This sauce made me an instant expert in creole cuisine! (Or at least that’s what I told myself as I served my soup for dinner that night.)
Feel free to use whatever pasta you’d like in this soup. I chose pipe rigate as I loved that as it cooked, it held onto vegetables and broth within the opening of the pasta. Extra flavor in each bite!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken thighs, cubed
- 3 celery, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces smoked sausage, sliced
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/4 cup Robert Rothschild Farm White Wine Creole Sauce
- 2 cups frozen okra
- 2 cups pasta
- 1 recipe Simple Sweet Cornbread, prepared
- Heat olive oil in large, deep pot over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to pot and lightly brown on all sides.
- Add celery, carrots, green pepper, onion and garlic to pot. Cover and cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sausage, tomatoes, chicken broth, water, creole sauce and okra to pot and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta to pot and cook until al dente.
- Serve in bowls topped with Cornbread Croutons and drizzled with additional White Wine Creole Sauce, if desired.
- Cut prepared cornbread into large cubes and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 5 minutes or until crisp on each side.
Those cornbread croutons are the perfect finishing touch to your soup bowl. They’re crisp and delicious on top but also are awesome when dipped in the broth of the soup to absorb a bit of creole kick!
I even went for more of a kick by drizzling the top of my soup with additional White Wine and Creole Sauce. Pretty and delicious! This is one soup you’ll want to be adding to your menu plan soon.
Looking for more great soup recipes?
More soup recipes from fellow food bloggers:
Creamy Cauliflower Soup | Yummy Healthy Easy
Healthy Crockpot Jalapeno, Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup | The Creative Bite
Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage and Spinach | Yellow Bliss Road
I was compensated by Robert Rothschild Farm to create a recipe featuring their product. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting this sponsor that allows me the opportunity to create content, such as this, for Melanie Makes.