This Cherry Tomato and Tortellini Soup is the quickest soup you’ll ever create, yet it’s packed with so much flavor. A broth full of burst cherry tomatoes, cheese filled tortellini, rounds of green onions and ribbons of basil make this a soup you’ll make over and over again.
Keep in touch! Subscribe to receive Melanie Makes recipes direct to your inbox.
This seven ingredient Cherry Tomato and Tortellini Soup takes just five minutes to prepare and is ready for the dinner table in 20 minutes. The true definition of a perfect weeknight dinner. Even though it’s a meatless meal, this soup is a hearty one that is sure to make for happy, filled bellies when everyone pushes their chairs away from the table.
With just a trip through the produce and refrigerated foods aisle, you’ve got everything you need. This Cherry Tomato and Tortellini Soup is the quickest soup you’ll ever create, yet it’s packed with so much flavor. A broth full of burst cherry tomatoes, cheese filled tortellini, rounds of green onions and ribbons of basil make this a soup you’ll make over and over again.
Others in my tomato soup recipe arsenal are my Creamy Tomato Bacon Soup, easy Roasted Tomato and Shrimp Gazpacho and Mexican inspired Roasted Tomato and Green Chile Soup. Wouldn’t it be fun to have a tomato soup lineup and invite friends over so everyone can pick their favorite? Oh yes, I see you nodding your head in agreement! (And if you’re a Seinfeld fan and totally got the similarity to George’s candy bar lineup of Twix’s, send me your address and I’ll mail you some soup of you’re very own.)
Cherry Tomato and Tortellini Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound cheese tortellini fresh or frozen
- 1 cup basil leaves julienned
- 1 bunch scallions chopped
- In a dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in cherry tomatoes and garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, for approximately 10 minutes or until tomatoes burst.
- Add chicken stock and water and bring to boil.
- Add tortellini and cook until al dente.
- Remove from heat and stir in basil and scallions to wilt.
Look for other quick and delicious dinner ideas including your favorite pasta? Check out this easy One Pot Pizza Tortellini Pasta Bake, Lentil Tortellini Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette and this comforting One Pot Cheesy Tortellini and Meatballs recipe.