This seven ingredient Honey Sriracha Nut Oven Fried Chicken says so long to spattering oil and instead gets it’s crispy crunch from an oven. Marinated in buttermilk and coated in panko bread crumbs and mixed nuts before being bathed in a delicious honey Sriracha sauce, this chicken is the definition of sweet heat.
Keep in touch! Subscribe to receive Melanie Makes recipes direct to your inbox.
Now THIS is a sandwich. I only wish that it hadn’t taken me over a year to create it. Last year, while on a trip to North Carolina for a food blogging conference, I had the most amazing fried chicken. I loved it so much I purchased a cookbook from the restaurant later that night from the Amazon app on my phone. And then on my shelf that cookbook sat until I finally figured out my own spin that proved to be just as noteworthy as the original. I’m hoping that after your first bite of this Honey Sriracha Nut Oven Fried Chicken, you’ll agree.
My Honey Sriracha Nut Oven Fried Chicken uses the same technique of marinating chicken breasts in buttermilk before coating them in panko bread crumbs and pulverized mixed nuts. The crunch! The taste! I swear I could eat this coating by itself if only I could figure out how I could go about doing so.
But forget the pot of bubbling, spattering hot oil. Friends, I don’t fry things. I just can’t do it. The mess, the smell… Don’t get me wrong, I’ll gladly eat fried chicken that someone else prepares for me, it just doesn’t happen in my kitchen. Instead, my Honey Sriracha Nut Oven Fried Chicken is baked until crispy. With that amazing crispy nut coating, you’d never know the difference!
I love to use my oven as a simpler way to create some of my favorite dishes like my mess free Oven Roasted Bacon, no fuss Oven Baked Chimichurri Chicken Fajitas and my all time favorite appetizer Oven Baked Pickle Chips with Horseradish Chipotle Sauce.
But the way I truly made this chicken my own? The shower of honey Sriracha sauce that is poured over it as it comes out of the oven. A bit sweet with a hint of heat. It truly transforms this chicken from ordinary to extraordinary in one simple step. Even my 7 year old who likes to think that she doesn’t like spicy food ate an entire sandwich without issue.
Honey Sriracha Nut Oven Fried Chicken
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 cups roasted and salted mixed nuts
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- In a large bowl, add chicken and buttermilk and allow to marinate at least one hour or preferabley overnight in the refrigerator.
- Add panko and nuts to bowl of food processor and pulse until combined and finely ground.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place baking sheet in oven as it preheats.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk and coat with panko and nut mixture on all sides.
- Place chicken on preheated baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes. Using tongs, turn chicken to other side and bake for an additional 12-15 minutes or until cooked through.
- In a small saucepan, heat honey, butter and Sriracha over low heat until melted and stir to combine.
- Pour honey mixture over each piece of chicken.
- Serve on sandwich rolls with salad greens and tomato.
Looking to get a bit more use from that battle of Sriracha in the fridge? Put it to use in these snack worthy Candied Sriracha Cashews, crisp Sriracha Honey Roasted Broccoli and incredibly easy Sriracha Refrigerator Pickles.