This Sweet Corn Queso with Pepperoni Crumbs literally comes together by just stirring ingredients together with a spoon in a cast iron skillet. Red onion, garlic, jalapeño and corn are stirred into Monterey Jack cheese to create this incredible queso that’s garnished with the most insanely delicious pepperoni crumbs, cilantro and jalapeños.
Keep in touch! Subscribe to receive Melanie Makes recipes direct to your inbox.
Is it bad that it’s just now mid-June and I’ve already got the 4th of July on the brain? I mean, I feel like we’re just getting the hang of this whole summer vacation thing, but I’m definitely feeling holiday ready. As in I’ve been collecting red, white and blue holiday decor on my weekly trips to Target and now I’ve got the perfect appetizer recipe in my back pocket thanks to this Sweet Corn Queso with Pepperoni Crumbs.
This Sweet Corn Queso with Pepperoni Crumbs is like all my cheesy dreams come true. And, I’ll be honest, I could make a main dish out of this meal without a second thought. My love of melty cheese and tortilla chips is STRONG. Not only is it out of this world delicious, but it’s also crazy easy to pull together. Especially with a new kitchen tool at my disposal that’s just become a real game changer.
Friends, let me introduce you to OXO’s One Stop Chop. I could be the president of the OXO fan club as I have so many of their products, but this is one product I didn’t even know I needed. Until now. Forget dragging out your food processor from the recesses of your lower kitchen cabinets, this manual food processor makes life so much easier! As in, I chopped the pepperoni and minced the onion, jalapeño and garlic for this recipe in no time flat. A complete time saver by not wrestling with my large food processor or trying to hone my knife skills.
You simply toss the items in the four cup bowl, snap on the lid and then turn the handle clockwise until you’ve reached the desired chop size. And when your done? All three pieces go directly into the dishwasher. Better yet? This will be the perfect device to allow any of my menagerie to help prepare recipes alongside me in the kitchen as it’ll be super easy for them to use. Win, win, win.
Because I used the OXO One Stop Chop to prepare this Sweet Corn Queso with Pepperoni Crumbs, it literally comes together by just stirring ingredients together with a spoon and a cast iron skillet. Red onion, garlic, jalapeño and corn are stirred into Monterey Jack cheese to create this incredible queso. It actually reminds me a lot of my Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Corn Dip except for those insane pepperoni crumbs.
Side note: When sweet corn is fresh and in season, it would be the only thing that can make this queso even better! Corn lovers will also no doubt enjoy my Cheesy Corn Casserole, it’s amped up counterpart in my Southwest Green Chile Corn Casserole and mashup Mexican Street Corn Deviled Eggs.
Pepperoni crumbs? Sounds restaurant worthy but you’ll laugh at how easy they are to make at home. Finely chopped pepperoni and panko bread crumbs are crisped in extra virgin olive oil before being sprinkled on top of this queso. I bet I’m not the only one who is now wondering what else I can crown with pepperoni crumbs. I’m thinking this Sweet Corn Queso with Pepperoni Crumbs is just the beginning!
Sweet Corn Queso with Pepperoni Crumbs
- 2 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Sweet Corn Queso
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 16 ounces frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 12 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- fresh cilantro and sliced jalapeño to garnish
- Add pepperoni to bowl of Oxo One Stop Chop. Process until finely chopped.
- Add panko and a pinch of salt to bowl and process again until a fine crumb forms and pepperoni and bread crumbs are well combined.
- In a 10" cast iron skillet over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Stir in pepperoni and bread crumb mixture and cook until crisp, approximately 5 minutes. Spoon onto a plate in a single layer and allow to cool.
Sweet Corn Queso
- Return skillet to heat and add butter and olive oil.
- Stir in onion, jalapeño, garlic and corn and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add 1-1/2 cups of water and bring mixture to a boil.
- Stir in cornstarch until completely combined and no lumps remain. Simmer until thickened, approximately 3 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and season with additional salt and pepper.
- Garnish with pepperoni crumbs, cilantro and additional jalapeño and serve with tortilla chips.
Looking for more tasty corn recipes? Look no further than this sweet and fruity Blueberry Corn Salsa, this loaded Creamed Corn with Bacon, Parmesan, and Mascarpone and this rich and creamy Sweet Corn Soup.