These Beef Stroganoff French Bread Toasts are perfect as a hearty appetizer for holiday get togethers or gameday or even as a family pleasing main dish. Crispy, crunchy French bread halves are loaded with a homemade beef stroganoff mixture that’s then piled high with a mountain of melty, bubbly cheese. In short, it’s the true definition of comfort food that’s guaranteed to please anyone that’s lucky enough to get a nibble.
Keep in touch! Subscribe to receive Melanie Makes recipes direct to your inbox.
Here’s a little tidbit you likely don’t know about me. Once I read a book, I rarely keep it. I’d rather pass it along to a friend because the likelihood of me reading it again is slim to none. So many books, so little time. There’s only one exception to this rule. Cookbooks. I collect them like nobody’s business and they’re arranged on a bookshelf in rainbow order. Not only do they look pretty, but I tend to remember what the covers look like more so than the name which means I can find them easier. These Beef Stroganoff French Bread Toasts? Straight out of the latest cookbook to arrive on my doorstep.
This recipe can be found in my friend Lauren‘s new cookbook, Modern Comfort Cooking. And at this time of year, it’s definitely comfort food season! Lauren and I first met at an event when we were living in Cleveland and now she lives just an hour or so away in Denver. Small world! I always love her creative spin on traditional dishes and when I spied these Beef Stroganoff French Bread Toasts while dog earring so many pages in her book, I knew that they’d be an instant hit with husband and earn me major wife bonus points.
And you better believe it was like love at first bite! Crispy, crunchy French bread halves are loaded with a homemade beef stroganoff mixture that’s then piled high with a mountain of melty, bubbly cheese. In short, it’s the true definition of comfort food that’s guaranteed to please anyone that’s lucky enough to get a nibble.
These Beef Stroganoff French Bread Toasts are perfect as a hearty appetizer for holiday get togethers or gameday. Served alongside my insanely easy Pesto Yogurt Dip, delicious Rosemary Parmesan Bacon Popcorn and mashup Mexican Street Corn Deviled Eggs, you’d have an amazing spread! These toasts also make for a family pleasing main dish. Really want to make your life easy? You can make the beef stroganoff mixture beforehand and stash it into the fridge until you’re ready. A make ahead shortcut that gets it into your belly fast when the proverbial clock is ticking!
Because I never tend to never be able to make a recipe exactly as written, I did make two small changes to the original recipe to make these Beef Stroganoff French Bread Toasts my own. The original recipe called for Cremini mushrooms and Havarti cheese but I substituted them for button mushrooms and mozzarella cheese. I first made the swap for budgetary reasons as the original ingredients are a little pricier than I would normally spend, especially knowing I was going to double the recipe to feed our family of six. And then of course, I knew that if I swapped ingredients my two middle children, who happen to be quite picky, would likely be more receptive to this new dinner recipe.
Regardless of which ingredients you choose to make these Beef Stroganoff French Bread Toasts with, you’ll no doubt have a new favorite to add to your recipe box!
Beef Stroganoff French Bread Toasts
- 1 loaf of french bread sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/4 cups mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic cloved minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh chopped parsley to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place French bread halves on baking sheet, scooping out some of the extra bread from the inside to make room for stroganoff filling.
- In a large dutch oven over medium-high heat, add olive oil and mushrooms. Sauté for about 3 minutes and then season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Sauté an additional 3 minutes or until mushrooms are golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, remove mushrooms to a bowl and set aside.
- Adjust heat to medium and add butter to dutch oven. Once butter has melted, add garlic, onion and remaining salt and pepper. Sauté until garlic and onion have softened.
- Add ground beef to dutch oven and brown until cooked through. Stir in cooked mushrooms.
- Add flour and paprika to ground beef mixture and stir until combined.
- Stir in beef stock until well combined. Bring ground beef mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove ground beef mixture from heat and stir in Dijon mixture and sour cream.
- Top each half of french bread with half of ground beef mixture and half of cheese.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake loaves for 15 minutes or until cheese is gold and bubbly.
- All loaves to cool approximately five minutes and then cut into toasts. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
Although you can absolutely hit the grocery store bakery for a loaf of French bread for these Beef Stroganoff French Bread Toasts, if you really want to go all out, you could make your own! This One Hour French Bread recipe, easy Grandma’s French Bread or yeasty Julia Child’s French Bread would all be excellent starting points for this recipe.