These Coconut Banana Bread Donuts are destined to transport you to your happy place without getting up from your breakfast table. A banana bread batter spiked with coconut is baked to donut perfection before being drizzled with a banana glaze and sprinkled with additional coconut.
Keep in touch! Subscribe to receive Melanie Makes recipes direct to your inbox.
What are the odds that I happened to have a bunch of rapidly deteriorating bananas on hand just begging to be used on National Banana Bread Day? Lucky me! Between me and the two littlests, there’s rarely a spare banana on hand. I usually end up rationing them on the last day or so before the next grocery trip. So before throwing some in the freezer for future smoothies, I had something else in mind instead of our usual favorite Chocolate Chip Walnut Banana Bread. Something more portable, if you will.
These Coconut Banana Bread Donuts definitely fit the bill. They’re like the most portable banana bread ever! And way less messy for the menagerie to eat. I don’t know about you, but whenever I give my kids banana bread, there are soon crumbs absolutely everywhere. Maybe that’s why the dog was giving me the stink eye as I was making donuts, he knew there’d be less treasures on the floor for him to find!
Donut lovers, you’ll want to serve these Coconut Banana Bread Donuts alongside two of my other favorites – Triple Chocolate Snickerdoodle Donuts and Peanut Butter Butterfinger Cups Donuts for an absolute donut nirvana experience!
A banana bread batter is spiked with coconut extract and studded with shredded coconut before being baked – yes, BAKED! – to donut rounds of perfection. After cooling, a banana glaze is spooned over each donut before a snow shower of even more shredded coconut takes place. A tropical twist on a long time favorite. These Coconut Banana Bread Donuts are destined to transport you to your happy place without getting up from your breakfast table.
These Coconut Banana Bread Donuts are best enjoyed as soon as they’re glazed but if you’re looking for a shortcut to donut blissdom, have no fear. When you have ripe bananas, simply make the donuts and allow them to cool before putting them in the freezer. Then you’re just a quick defrost and a glaze away from deliciousness!
Coconut Banana Bread Donuts
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded coconut to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together banana, butter, eggs, milk and coconut extract.
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and shredded coconut and stir until just combined.
- Add batter to piping bag - or plastic storage bag with corner snipped to act as a piping bag - and fill wells of a greased donut pan just to top.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until just beginning to turn golden. Allow to cool 3-5 minutes in pan before cooling completely on wire rack.
- In small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until combined. Spoon over cooled donuts.
- Garnish tops of donuts with additional shredded coconut.
Looking to create an entire donut bar for breakfast or brunch? I like how you roll! These Coconut Banana Bread Donuts would definitely look good alongside these Yeast Donuts with Fresh Raspberry Glaze, Krispy Kreme Glazed Donuts and Baked Nutella Donuts.