This Baked Chicken and Mushrooms is all about flavor. Layers and layers of flavor. Chicken breasts are sprinkled with smoked Spanish paprika before being piled high with sliced onions and mushrooms. It’s all then topped with a melty cap of mozzarella cheese.
Keep in touch! Subscribe to receive Melanie Makes recipes direct to your inbox.
You know what’s also rare? That a recipe as flavor packed as this Baked Chicken and Mushrooms is also friendly to my waistline. Of course, it would be friendly to yours as well. But seriously. Boneless skinless chicken breasts piled high with vegetables plus cheese. Completely winning on all fronts. Even if you decide to use an excessive amount of cheese you can still fill good about this one. Because isn’t cheese just another source of calcium and protein after all?
This Baked Chicken and Mushrooms is all about flavor. Layers and layers of flavor. Chicken breasts are sprinkled with smoked Spanish paprika before being piled high with sliced onions and mushrooms. It’s all then topped with a melty cap of mozzarella cheese. Said cheese also means the opportunity for extra epic cheese pull upon serving. Always impressive. Especially with the 10 and under crowd in our house.
My mashup Chicken Bacon Swiss Spaghetti Pizza, super easy Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches and Oven Baked Chimichurri Chicken Fajitas are also excellent main dish meal ideas to keep in your back pocket.
Although this Baked Chicken and Mushrooms recipe takes just 30 minutes to bake, it’s also easy to prepare ahead. As in I’m able to bake it during the afternoon while the littlest naps and the other three are at school and then simply transfer it to the slow cooker on warm so it’s ready and waiting after basketball practice. A lifesaver for fellow mamas with chaotic schedules or perfect if you’re making a meal to take to a friend.
Baked Chicken and Mushrooms
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approximately 2.5 pounds)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sherry cooking wine
- 2 onions sliced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a greased 9x13 baking dish, arrange chicken in a single layer.
- Sprinkle paprika over chicken evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, add butter and mushrooms and sauté for five minutes.
- Add sherry, onion, garlic, salt and pepper to skillet and bring to a boil.
- Pour onion mixture over chicken and bake an additional 15 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Top chicken with cheese and bake for an additional five minutes or until melted.