This six ingredient Homemade Oatmeal Muffin Mix is perfect to keep on hand in your pantry for a quick breakfast and also makes a great gift. Why buy store bought when homemade is better for you and your wallet?
Keep in touch! Subscribe to receive Melanie Makes recipes direct to your inbox.
When Andy and I were dating in undergrad, after his parents visited he always seemed to have some type of baked good on hand that his mom had left behind. Lucky for me, I often got to enjoy them. One that became a fast favorite, was her Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins. A great late night snack option when Andy was studying and I was building models for my interior design classes. Little did I know just how easy were they were to make thanks to this Homemade Oatmeal Muffin Mix.
This six ingredient Homemade Oatmeal Muffin Mix is perfect to keep on hand in your pantry for a quick breakfast and also makes a great gift idea for neighbors, teachers or anyone you’d like to share a little homemade goodness with. Why buy store bought when homemade is better for you and your wallet? Flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, vegetable shortening and quick cooking oats – all pantry staples in my house! – are the key ingredients to this kitchen shortcut recipe.
A word of warning: you’ll need a VERY large bowl to make a batch of this mix. I actually end up using the seven quart bowl from my stand mixer. Sure, you could always cut the recipe in half, but to me being able to make a batch of this Homemade Oatmeal Muffin Mix that will equate to nearly seven dozen muffins is totally worth the effort of getting out a bowl that will contain all of the ingredients! I love storing the mix in quart canning jars as three cups of the mix fits in each jar. The exact amount called for to make a dozen muffins.
This Homemade Oatmeal Muffin Mix is incredibly versatile. Here are just a few of the muffin recipes I’ve created using it:
- Cherry Almond Oatmeal Muffins
- Pear Macadamia Oatmeal Muffins
- Pumpkin Butterscotch Oatmeal Muffins
- Yogurt Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
- Twix Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal Muffins
- and of course, the one that started it all, Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
Homemade Oatmeal Muffin Mix
- 7 cups flour
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 2-1/4 cups vegetable shortening
- 18 ounces quick cooking oats
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until it's the consistency of corn meal.
- Stir in oats.
- Store for later use, each recipe will use 3 cups of mix. Mix is shelf stable and is perfect stored in zip top bags or glass jars in the pantry.